Friday, May 17, 2013

Offshore from Florida to Charleston, South Carolina




     This morning at 6:30 AM we had a positive forecast from our weather router, Chris Parker. His forecast called for winds from the southwest in the 12-15 knot range with 2-4 foot seas offshore. Finally, all systems were "go." Sounds a bit like a space shuttle launch doesn't it? We've been waiting for weather and until today conditions have been unfavorable with high winds and seas. But, this morning Simple Life set sail out of the St. Mary's inlet on the Georgia-Florida border for Charleston, South Carolina. If conditions remain as expected the trip should be a treat! No shallows to concern us along the ICW in Georgia and the opportunity to make considerable distance north along the eastern seaboard. We'd hoped to track up to Beaufort, NC, but there is a potential for squalls with winds up to 40 knots on Friday morning due to near gale force winds off Cape Hatteras. We decided to play it safe and check into the Charleston inlet sometime after noon on Friday. This requires one overnight passage. Simple Life is making good speed as she's sailing from St. Mary's inlet to points north at 6.3 knots. The wind is up, seas are down and we're hoping conditions remain throughout the day and night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. Hi Guys,

    Checking to see how your offshore voyage went. Once rested, we'd love to know your thoughts on other offshore routes (one night out) from NC to the Keys. We're also soliciting thoughts for major re-provisioning stops on the ICW that are similar to Vero Beach (inexpensive mooring, public transportation and real grocery stores)

    Thanks, Beth and Clarence SV Kestrel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clarence and Beth,
      I was just working on a blog about our overnight passage. Some information may answer some of your questions or if you have anything specific maybe we could arrange time to chat when we come through Oriental. We found excellent shopping at Harris Teeter in Charleston. The Charleston City Marina provides transportation from the marina, but you have to be registered at the marina. So far, best provisioning was at Marathon, Ft. Lauderdale (Las Olas), North Palm Beach, Vero, and Charleston.

      Delete
  2. Hi. I am new to sailing and am really happy I stumbled onto your blog! It has been fun reading about your adventures up the coast.

    I'm the proud owner of a 1976 S2 7.0 (23'). I spent a few months getting to know her in a boat yard and am now working on my sailing skills. I'm planning a trip this fall from Palm Beach Inlet to the keys.

    I am using a new site: www.downwindrun.com to plan my trip. It shows distances and local knowledge. I am hoping that the local knowledge for the keys builds up over the next three or four months.

    I was wondering how you go about planning your voyages? Do you have a set distance you are willing to go in a day? Or is it more 'free form'?

    All My Best,
    Terry

    Juno Beach, FL


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry,
    We primarily travel when weather permits. In other words, no thunderstorms, high seas etc. we have an SSB radio and subscribe to Chris Parker's weather broadcasts. Sometimes we call on SSB after the broadcast if we are planning an offshore passage. I think that you would be safe traveling the ICW inside to Dinner Key. Then pick your weather to head down to the Keys. If your draft is less than 4.5 ft. You could even transit the keys on the Florida Bay side which has many more anchorages in the event that weather pops up unexpectedly. There are very few anchorages on the ocean side transit. Hope this is helpful and we wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your reply. Since I am still in the planning stages... well, things may change! I am wondering if it would be easier to just head over to the Bahamas for a week. I am torn and I will no doubt flip flop on which is the best choice.

    Any recommendations? I haven't read all your posts (yet), so I am not sure if you guys have been over there. I am mostly worried about being out of range for cheap phone calls and data (for looking at the weather radar). Also, I am concerned with being blown and currented (my new word) north with the gulf stream and the prevailing SE winds.

    Thanks again,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terry,
    Yes we have been to the Bahamas. Not this year though. Be forewarned that if you clear in to the Bahamas it will cost @$300.00 for a visa for a variable amount of time. Some visas are granted for 90 days. I have no infor on shorter lengths of time, but you will need to check that prior to departure. Also the gulf stream can be formidable when northerly winds are a factor. We depart only with careful weather planning. Hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michele! I have lots of time to think about all this.

    Are you still in Ocracoke? I used to live in Kitty Hawk. I really like the light houses up the coast of the Outer Banks. Ocracoke, Hatteras, Bodie and Corolla Lights are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Terry,
    We have been offshore for a few days and have finally arrived in Block Island, Rhode Island! Long trip, but now it's time to relax.

    ReplyDelete