Our immediate goals and objectives are as follows: 1) Fill the water and diesel tanks 2) Enjoy wherever we happen to be each day 3) Sail to Block Island to begin staging for a possible overnight sail to Cape May, NewJersey or make the decision to take the Long Island route 4) Watch weather patterns and if there is an approaching cold front in the forecast assess how strong it will be and if it will sustain us for the duration of an overnight sail from Block Island to Cape May 5) If after a week in the anchorage waiting for a proper weather window it appears that no cold fronts are approaching, consider sailing the inside route down Long Island Sound
6) Stop making checklists!
It's a wait and see period right now. Wind has been light and variable. Venturing offshore in these conditions would require motoring rather than sailing. We prefer sailing.
So, for now we'll rest, enjoy the anchorage at Block Island and prepare for the potential overnight passage. After all it's not really about the destination that brings sailors the most enjoyment. We also have to savor the here and now.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Block Island, Rhode Island