Monday, August 20, 2012

Canning for the Future

The finished product!!
My latest undertaking has been the completion of my "canning for the future" project. As we head south we'll have plenty of opportunities to purchase groceries along the way. However, once in the Exuma Islands, Bahamas things will change dramatically. Stores are tiny in the Out Islands. Food is not plentiful. It arrives on the mail boat once a week and if we're late for the boat's arrival most of the shelves will be bare. In the smaller Family Islands fresh meat is practically nonexistent. My solution to this issue was to can my own meat that I purchased in at my local market.

 During the spring I ordered a 21 quart pressure canner which is designed for either canning or cooking meat, chicken or any other non acid food item including seafood. My plan is to store my canned products in a low dry area of the boat until we reach the Exumas sometime in December or January. I canned a case of ground sirloin, a case of chicken, and five quarts of homemade meatballs and sauce. This will supplement our provisions when food is scarce with hopes that we'll have some luck with fishing and spearing lobsters.

2 comments:

  1. Hi again,

    Merry Christmas. My wife and I have been reading through your posts. You answered our propane heater questions and now we find your canning post. We are planning to purchase a All American canner but can't decide which size. We currently water bath can appropriate items in a large stock pot. A few questions:

    Which model do you have?
    Would you change sizes up or down?
    Are you using the standard IP 3 burner Seward stove?
    How (where) do you store your canner?
    Any other general comments?

    Thanks,

    Clarence and Beth (SV Kestrel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clarence,
    Merry Christmas to you! To answer your question I bought the 21 quart All American which I purchased from Amazon. It will can 9 quart jars or 19 pint jars at one time! This canner is too large to store on board so I leave it ashore. The stove is perfect for canning So if you want one that you can keep aboard you may want to consider a smaller model. Perhaps one that you could store under the stove. There is quite a lot of info online about canning meat. I think a smaller canner that would be kept on board would be a good idea for all the farmers markets we find while cruising. Good luck, if you have any other questions contact me anytime.
    Cheers,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete